On the basis of what has emerged from the consultative working groups, the SWOT analyses, the studies of the Macro Emergencies and the Steering Committee discussions among bodies in charge of the protection and management of the Site, the Plan is designed to achieve 12 Strategic Objectives through 4 Actions Plans and various projects subdivided into thematic domains.
- Protect, rehabilitate and enhance the human settlements (urban fabric, rural architecture), the environment and the lagoon landscape;
- Protect, restore and enhance the architectural, archaeological, art historical, ethno-anthropological, archival and library heritage;
- Rebuild the social and economic fabric of historic centres and increase the resident population;
- Rationalize the tourist flows by developing forms which are complementary to traditional tourism (with accents on minor cultural tourism in Venice, the lagoon, the countryside, agritourism, ecology, sports, etc.);
- Preserve and support the productive activities leading to increased employment and traditional productive activities and promote new activities compatible with the characteristics of the Site;
- Improve accessibility, mobility and the transport system in the Site, fostering slow mobility alternatives;
- Develop urban and suburban agriculture, kitchen gardens in the city and in the smaller islands, to safeguard productive land, avoid the abandonment of agricultural land and promote the development of rural tourism;
- Develop a widespread awareness of the universal values of the Site and active forms of dialogue, participation and involvement of stakeholders (citizens, users, economic operators, tourists);
- Coordinate and promote cultural initiatives and marketing related to the Site;
- Develop human resources by strengthening and integrating training and research systems relating to cultural and environmental properties;
- Create a system to coordinate the sharing and dissemination of research, investigations and data produced by institutional bodies and to the identify new themes to develop;
- Promote a consistency of approach and standard in services related to on-line utilization of the cultural heritage offered to citizens by the bodies located in the Site area, supporting the generalized adoption of international standards for interoperability and accessibility of contents.