Municipality of Cavallino Treporti
The Municipality of Cavallino Treporti covers an area of about 45 square kilometres and consists of a peninsula that separates the northern part of the Venetian lagoon from the Adriatic Sea. The entire municipality falls within the UNESCO Site “Venice and its Lagoon” right from its registration in 1987. About 13,500 people are settled in Cavallino Treporti, which borders on the municipalities of Jesolo and Venice and includes twelve hamlets (Ca ‘Ballarin, Ca’ Pasquali, Ca’ Savio, Ca’ di Valle, Ca’ Vio, Cavallino, Lio Grando, Lio Piccolo, Mesole, Punta Sabbioni, Saccagnana and Treporti).
The municipal area is characterized by a natural environment of undeniable beauty where flora and fauna of the lagoon and marine habitats coexist (SCI / SPA IT 3250003 “Peninsula of the Cavallino: coastal habitats,” SCI IT3250031 “Upper Lagoon of Venice”, SPA IT3250046 “Venetian Lagoon “). Moreover, it is characterized by a great variety of landscapes: mudflats, sandbanks, fishing basins (Olivari, Liona and Paleazza), vegetable gardens, historic towns (Lio Piccolo, the convent of Mesole, Saccagnana), military architecture, lighthouses , marinas, sandy beaches and pine forests.
Following the signing of the Act of Understanding in 2007, The Municipality of Quarto Cavallino Treporti became a member of the “Steering Committee” of the UNESCO Site “Venice and its Lagoon”. The Committee holds the following Institutional powers regarding the protection, enhancement and management of the Site’s assets: managing the territories, urban planning, conservation and requalification of buildings for residential use, for social and cultural activities, for production, craft and trade – essential to the conservation of the socio-economic characteristics of the lagoon urban settlements – economic planning, construction of primary infrastructure works, landscaping and environmental protection, enhancement and promotion of tourism
The place was already inhabited around the year one thousand but, after a long period of demographic decline, it started being repopulated from the end of the seventeenth century. In the second half of the eighteenth century the noble Venetian family Boldù, became the owner of the island, rearranged the eponymous palace and built the church of Santa Maria della Neve.
The Vettor Pisani Battery was built between 1909 and 1910 and named after the admiral Vettor Pisani (1324–1380) who led the Venetian fleet to victory against the Genoese Pietro Doria during the Chioggia War. Today, it is possible to visit a series of exhibitions in the Battery, each focused on a specific theme related to World War I and the territory of Cavallino Treporti. Furthermore, the Battery is the cornerstone of the “Forts Itinerary”, an open-air, diffused museum circuit connecting fortification works deployed along the coastline of Cavallino Treporti.
The Cavallino Peninsula and related islands, thanks to their mild climate, are the typical production area of the green bitter Montine Asparagus, in Venetian dialect known as “sparasea”. The festival dedicated to this particular variety of asparagus has been held for more than thirty years in Cavallino between late April and early May.
The permanent exhibition “Fragments of the lagoon. Trade and everyday life between Roman and modern times” gathers a series of archaeological evidence, rediscovered on the northern lagoon bed or on the terrain of Cavallino Treporti, that narrate the everyday life in these places from Roman Age to date.
- System fortifications of the Norhtern Lagoon
- System of lagoon fortifications in the perimeter area in the south up to the San Felice fort
- Kitchen gardens and periurbane agriculture