State Archive of Venice
The Venice State Archives were founded in the year 1815 with the name “General Archive Veneto” in the rooms of the convent of the Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari. Specifically arranged to become an archive, the seat preserves the Venetian documentary patrimony from the origins of the city until the modern age. The archive constitutes a vast wealth of parchments, papers, drawings and documents coming from the various countries that held commercial and diplomatic relations with the city of Venice.
Following the signing of the Act of Understanding in 2007, The State Archive of Venice became a member of the “Steering Committee” of the UNESCO Site “Venice and its Lagoon”. The Committee holds the following Institutional powers regarding the protection, enhancement and management of the Site’s assets: Conservation, protection, promotion of knowledge and enhancement of the archive heritage held in the Archive.
The projects of the Management Plan involving State Archive of Venice
- Digital reproduction of descriptive, mapping and cadastral sources, creation of databases for the diachronic knowledge of the territory “Venice and its Lagoon” (XVI-XIX centuries)
For further information