The projects of the Management Plan involving Cavallino Treporti System fortifications of the Norhtern Lagoon System of lagoon fortifications in the perimeter area in the south up to the San… read more →
The Forts Itinerary is a historical route, an open-air diffuse museum circuit connecting some of the numerous fortifications in the territory of Cavallino Treporti built during the 1845- 1920s. There are a dozen military buildings among which the Amalfi Battery, the Treporti Fort and the Vettor Pisani Battery stand out. The batteries, deployed along the coastal strip and connected to the railway system, were in service on the mainland front of the Lower Piave due to the revolving armoured towers and long- range cannons, that hit enemy outposts and infantry: the equipment of the Amalfi Battery, for example, was able to hurl grenades of over 800 kg up to 20 km away. They also served as military lodging, munition stockpile, shelter for the sick, place of detention and, if provided only with short- range cannons (e.g. Vettori Pisani Battery), as anti-aircraft artillery station. The telemetric towers, in a more backward position and camouflaged within the urban landscape, were used by lookouts to spot enemy armies, calculate their distance and thus provide the batteries with precise indications on their position.
Although it became an independent Municipality only in 1999, after a referendum calling for its separation from Venice, Cavallino Treporti has its historical roots in Roman times. The permanent exhibition “Fragments of the lagoon. Trade and everyday life between Roman and modern times”, hosted in the former nursery school of the hamlet of Lio Piccolo, gathers a series of archaeological evidence, rediscovered on the northern lagoon bed or on the terrain of Cavallino Treporti, that reconstruct the everyday life in these places, from agriculture to commercial shipping.
Inside the Vettor Pisani Battery it is possible to visit a series of exhibitions, each of which focuses on a specific theme related to World War I and the territory of Cavallino Treporti.
The Battery was built between 1909 and 1910 and it was named after the admiral Vettor Pisani (1324 – 1380) who led the Venetian fleet to victory against the Genoese Pietro Doria during the Chioggia War.
In service during both WWI and WWII, it opened back to visitors in 2017 after years of abandon and a series of restoration works.