Outstanding Universal Value
The Site "Venice and its Lagoon" was inscribed in the 1987 as "Outstanding Universal Value" in the World Heritage List, during the XI° session of the World Heritage Committee, satisfying all 6 criteria:
- I) To represent a masterpiece of human creative genius;
- II) To exhibit an important interchange of human values, over a span of time or within a cultural area of the world, on developments in architecture or technology, munumental arts, town-planning and landscape design;
- III) To bear a unique or exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition or to a civilization which has disappeared;
- IV) To be an outstanding example of a tipe of building, architectural or technological compound or landscape, which describes one or more significant stages in human history;
- V) To bear an outstanding example of a traditional human settlement, use of land or marine resurces, which is representative of a culture (or cultures) or of human interaction with the environnement, especially when it has become vulnerable under the impact of the irreversible changes;
- VI) To be directly or tangibly associated with ideas or beliefs, with artistic or literary works, of outstanding universal signifiance.